The French optics firm of Pierre Angenieux was established in 1935. The company was known for the the retrofocus lens, introduced in 1950. This was a trade name for a lens design in which the focal length of the lens was less than the distance between the rear lens element and the image plane.
Angenieux began designing zoom lenses for motion picture cameras in 1957. During the 1960s, their wide angle C mount zoom lenses were often advertised in product catalogs for use with reflex and non-reflex Bolex cameras.
C Mount Lenses for H-16 Cameras
Angenieux 95 w/ Viewfinder
This version of the Angenieux 95 was designed for C-mount cameras and recommended for use with the H-16M series. The viewfinder had a ground glass focusing aid and was designed to fit over the top of H model cameras. Shown here, it is attached to an H-16 S-4, with a built in turret support. Weight was approximately 3 1/2 lbs. Filter size: 103.5mm
Angenieux 95 f/2.2 9.5-95mm
This version was optically corrected for Bolex H-16 reflex cameras. It was otherwise the same lens, but without the viewfinder. A built in geared crank allowed slow zooms; a 1" lever could be attached for faster zooms. Weight was approximately 2 lbs, 12 oz. Filter size: 103.5mm
Angenieux 120 (f/2.2 12-120)
C mount versions of the Angenieux 120 were available that were optically corrected for Bolex reflex cameras; these were marked RX near the base. A built in geared crank allowed slow zooms, while a detachable 1" rod permitted faster zooms. The 120 used a standard Seriex IX filter and was approximately 1 pound, 12 ounces.
Angenieux 120 w/ Viewfinder (f/2.2 12-120)
This version of the Angenieux 120 was equipped with a viewfinder and designed for C mount cameras; Bolex recommended its use with the H-16 M and H-16 S non-reflex series. It used a Series IX filter and weighed 2 lbs, 6 oz.
Angenieux 120 BDA (f/2.2 12-120 auto diaphragm)
Optically corrected versions of this lens were recommended for H-16 reflex cameras. The lens featured an automatic diaphragm with built in exposure meter; it was powered by either two (2) TR132 or four (4) RM-1 batteries. The TR132 was a 2.7V battery, while the RM-1 was a 1.35V battery; both were mercury cell, and both have been discontinued. However, the auto diaphragm could be switched off and adjusted manually from f/2.2 to f/22. It could be fitted with Series IX filters and weighed 2 lbs and 12 oz.