BOLEX S - 221
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: Cover closed: 20 1/2" x 11" x 17"; Cover removed, with reels: 25 1/2" x 17" x 31"
- WEIGHT: Approximately 55 lbs.
- CONSTRUCTION: Cast aluminum; Two-tone grey finish; Carrying handle; Detachable cover lid with built-in 8" speaker; Illuminated controls.
- REEL CAPACITY: Accommodates up to 2000 ft reels. Top reel arm folds downward for storage.
- THREADING: Simple manual threading with pushbutton sprockets; Engraved diagrams illustrate the path for threading sound or silent film.
- POWER: 110 V, 50/60 Hz
- LAMP: 110 V 750 or 1000 Watt projection lamp; 4 V 0.75 amp optical sound lamp. Modern replacement: DDB 120V/750W or DFT 120V/1000W projection bulb; BFX 4V/3W optical sound bulb.
- LENS: Interchangeable lenses; Originally supplied with a Paillard-Bolex 50mm f/1.3 Hi-Fi lens. 35mm f/1.3 and 70mm f/1.6 lenses were also available.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 16 to 24 frames per second forward projection. Rapid motor rewind of threaded film.
- SOUND: Playback of optical or magnetic sound track; Records or erases magnetic track. Optical sound head: 50 to 7,000 Hz +/- 3 decibels. Magnetic sound head: 50 to 10,000 Hz +/- 3 decibels. 15 Watt, seven-tube amplifier; Separate controls for treble, bass and volume.
- OTHER FEATURES: Automatic frame counter; Two or three blade shutter switch; Built-in illuminated stroboscope for precise setting of 18 and 24fps; Height and level adjustments can be made on all four feet; A table lamp can be attached which switches off when the projector is running and relights again when stopped.
- SUPPLIED WITH: Bolex microphone, Bolex earphones, (1) 2000ft reel, (1) 50mm Hi-Fi projection lens and speaker cover.
Notes and Comments
The S221 model was designed to play back silent or sound film with either optical or magnetic tracks, as well as record sound onto 16mm magnetic striped film. A Bolex microphone and set of earphones was included with this model. The detachable lid contained a 15 Watt 8" speaker.
For sound projection in larger rooms, an additional 12", 15 Watt speaker cabinet was available as an accessory. It was supplied with a sound control box and 50' cord on a supply reel. The control box allowed both 12" and 8" speakers to be used simultaneously, and the volume of each to be adjusted individually. The sides of the unit could be folded down to form a support stand.
The projector was supplied with a 2000 ft aluminum reel and a 50mm lens. 35mm and 70mm lenses could also be purchased.
Serial Numbers and Dates of Manufacture
The serial number on S221 projectors can be used to determine the year in which it was manufactured. The table below lists the range of serial numbers allocated to the production run of the S221/S211 series.